Cook With Us: Sri Lankan Dhal Recipe
Dhal curry is an absolute staple in Sri Lanka & is outrageously delicious, we have to apologise in advance for the cravings you’ll be getting after you’ve eaten this dish!
Eat it like a local and scoop up the dhal with a roti (or naan bread), or you can eat it with rice. Sri Lankan dhal is similar to Indian dhal but uses curry leaves & coconut milk, giving it a creamier and softer texture. This is hands down one of our favourite meals & bonus – it’s vegetarian & vegan!
SRI LANKAN DHAL RECIPE
- 150g lentils (soaked or boiled prior to cooking)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Dry chilli pod
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Half a large onion
- ½ inch ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can coconut milk
- Coriander (to garnish)
- We recommend soaking your lentils for a few hours, or boiling with some salt prior to cooking to make sure they become soft without overcooking the curry.
- Chop/grind the following ingredients: cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, garlic and ginger (you can use a mortar and pestle)
- Chop the onion into thin slices. In a hot pan, fry the curry leaves in hot oil before adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and onion
- Once the onions are golden brown, add the chopped paste from step 1 and saute with the dried chilli
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, chilli powder, turmeric powder & curry powder
- Allow the curry to boil and simmer until lentils are soft (add water if necessary)
- Add salt to taste, garnish with coriander & enjoy! We’ll see you in Sri Lanka when the borders re-open 😉
Sri Lanka - 12 Day Tour
BEST TOUR IN SRI LANKA
Explore Sri Lanka, an island nation where you’ll spot wild elephants and blue whales, hike to stunning viewpoints, cook with the locals, visit temples and sip on coconuts on the beach.
Philippines - 10 Day Tour
Explore incredible Palawan and the emerald waters that lap secluded white beaches. Snorkel with turtles, cook with the locals and island hop the most beautiful islands in the world.
Japan - 14 Day Tour
Japan - 10 Day Tour
BEST TOUR IN THE WORLD
Japan, where old meets new. Learn a traditional martial art, spot Geishas in Kyoto, explore the bustling cities of Tokyo & Osaka, learn to roll sushi and sleep in a real temple.