Cook With Us: Sushi Bowl Recipe
Other than the crazy Shibuya Scramble, beautiful temples and endless red Torii gates; one of the first things that comes to mind when you think of Japan is Sushi. If you’ve ever visited, you’ll know there’s simply nothing like it! Whether you pick up a quick bite in your nearest 7/11, or head to a traditional restaurant – it’s a staple of any trip around the Land of the Rising Sun. The dish originated almost a thousand years ago, as a method to preserve raw fish by storing it in between layers of rice! This process would cause the rice to ferment, which in turn would preserve the fish. Initially, the rice was discarded and the fish eaten on it’s own; however, not wanting anything to go to waste, the Japanese began to eat the rice and fish together – thus, Sushi was born!
Since then, Sushi has developed into several varieties: there’s Sashimi – the raw fish on its own, Nigiri – which is usually raw fish on a ball of rice, and Maki – where the rice and fillings are rolled up in a seaweed sheet (known as nori). One of the more recent evolutions of the humble Sushi is an alternative known as a Sushi bowl, where the rice is simply served with any number of delicious toppings. The best part is this recipe eliminates the fiddly aspects Sushi is known for, making it incredibly easy to whip up!
What are sushi bowls called? They’re known as Chirashizushi, and we can guarantee it’ll satisfy any cravings we may have accidentally instigated (sorry, not sorry!)… so follow our sushi bowl recipe below and make your own!
SUSHI BOWL RECIPE
- 2 cups of cooked short grain or sushi rice
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp of rice vinegar (divided in two steps)
- 1 tsp of sugar
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 200g protein of your choice (tofu, shredded chicken, and/or seafood)
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- 1 sheet of nori, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp green onion/spring onion
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Place the rice in a bowl. Stir in the salt, sugar and 1 tbsp of rice vinegar until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the diced cucumber, sesame oil, sesame seeds and 2 tsp of rice vinegar. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon the cucumber onto the rice, and arrange your chosen protein alongside it. Garnish with green onion and nori strips on top.
- Serve immediately with wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce (if you like!)
Need some inspo? We’ve put together a list of other toppings to help you come up with some of your own Sushi bowl ideas!
- Shredded carrot
- Bell peppers
- Smoked salmon
- Crab meat
- Salmon roe
- Tuna (fresh or cooked)
- Egg (omelette)
- Spicy Mayo
- Seaweed Salad
We LOVE to see your recreations, share a snap of your Sushi bowl recipe attempt with us over on Instagram – tag us @onelifeadventures to be featured!
Written By: Holly Harverson