TRAVEL INSURANCE EXPLAINED
Make travel insurance part of your planning process. If you’re new to travel or have risked trips in the past without purchasing travel insurance, it might seem like a daunting task. But setting up travel insurance is a lot easier than you think, and is easier than ever.
In short, travel insurance is a plan you purchase that’s designed to protect you during your trip. This can apply to things like recovering lost baggage, cancelling your trip last-minute, or (the part we hope we won’t have to use) accessing emergency medical care.
So, if you’ve never signed up for travel insurance before or if you have a trip coming up, here’s a quick guide on how to get covered!
STEP 1: CHOOSING A PLAN
The first step in setting up your travel insurance is choosing your provider and plan. When it comes to picking your travel insurance provider, World Nomads is one of the most respected companies out there.
Recommended by trusted names like Lonely Planet and TourRadar (and of course, ourselves!), World Nomads provides a comprehensive list of benefits and coverage, as well as resources to help keep you safe and informed throughout all the stages of your trip.
STEP 2: UNDERSTAND YOUR BENEFITS
When you book with World Nomads, there’s no question that you get a lot of bang for your buck. Their list of benefits is exhaustive, and they service a wide range of areas where you might need coverage, including:
- Medical emergencies and evacuation
- Trip cancellation
- Baggage and personal belongings
- Personal liability
- Coming home early and resuming your trip
Not only that, but World Nomads also covers over 150 sports and activities. Get your fun-filled activities and sports covered, whether you’re planning your adventure on land or water, they’ll have your back.
STEP 3: GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE
Aside from choosing your provider and understanding your benefits, there are lots of ways you can get the most out of your travel insurance plan. Be sure to check out these tips to maximise your travel insurance!
- Get to know the in’s and out’s of your plan. Many people forget to look over their plans before they embark on their trip, and not only can you miss out on seeing what benefits are covered by your provider, but you might also encounter problems during your trip if you don’t understand how your plan works.
- Check your pre-existing insurance coverage. Many times, but not always, your credit card or health insurance will cover you on the road. Whether that’s car rental damage, lost luggage, or a broken arm, it’s worth it to see in what areas you’re already covered in, so you can try and opt for a less expensive plan.
- Don’t wait too long to buy travel insurance. Although there’s no deadline for buying travel insurance before your trip, the rule of thumb is to buy your insurance immediately after you’ve made your travel arrangements. The sooner you buy, the bigger your coverage window.
- Keep the parameters of your coverage in mind. Many travel insurance plans – including World Nomads – cover medical emergencies, but not medical insurance. That means they can’t cover any pre-existing medical conditions you may have or ongoing care. Look into your health insurance before you go to make sure your health needs are taken care of.
- Prepare your contact information. Travel insurance companies like World Nomads have 24/7 emergency assistance, but keep in mind that if you need immediate help, it’s a good idea to know your country codes so that your call will go through without any problems.
One of the best parts about travel is journeying off into the unknown so you can make some unforgettable memories. But a realistic part of the unknown is the potential for getting sick on the road, losing those important personal belongings, or sometimes even having to cut your trip short.
Take the fear of the unknown out of your trip by getting signed up for a travel insurance plan! We highly recommend taking a look at World Nomads for your trip with us here.
Japan - 10 Day Tour
BEST TOUR IN THE WORLD
Japan, where old meets new. Learn a traditional martial art, spot Geishas in Kyoto, explore the bustling cities of Tokyo & Osaka, learn to roll sushi and sleep in a real temple.
Japan - 14 Day Tour
Sri Lanka - 12 Day Tour
BEST TOUR IN SRI LANKA
Explore Sri Lanka, an island nation where you’ll spot wild elephants and blue whales, hike to stunning viewpoints, cook with the locals, visit temples and sip on coconuts on the beach.
Philippines - 10 Day Tour
Explore incredible Palawan and the emerald waters that lap secluded white beaches. Snorkel with turtles, cook with the locals and island hop the most beautiful islands in the world.